Saint-Etienne beats Marseille 1-0 with late goal

By Trung Latieule, AP

PARIS — A last-minute goal from substitute Geoffrey Dernis gave Saint-Etienne a 1-0 victory over Marseille in the French first division on Saturday.

Saint-Etienne dominated the first half as Marseille appeared tired after its 1-0 victory Wednesday over Liverpool _ the first victory by a French club at Anfield.

Dernis unleashed a powerful strike from 25 meters (yards).

“It’s very frustrating,” Marseille centerback Gael Givet told Canal Plus Television. “We gave it everything for 93 minutes. Losing in the last second really hurts.”

Marseille was down to 10 men in the 88th minute after leftback Taye Taiwo collected a second yellow card for pulling Pascal Feindouno’s jersey on the edge of the box.

In Saturday’s other games, it was: Le Mans 2, Nice 0; Paris Saint-Germain 1, Rennes 3; Lille 3, Valenciennes 0; Lorient 0, Caen 0; Metz 1, Strasbourg 2; and Lens 2, Auxerre 0.

On Friday, Brazilian forward Kim scored a goal in each half to help Nancy upset Monaco 3-1 and take the lead in the standings.

The victory was Nancy’s fourth in five games and moved it three points clear of Lyon, which is to play at Bordeaux on Sunday.

Le Mans beat Nice to climb into third place.

Brazilian forward Tulio de Melo slotted home a cross from Gervinho in the 30th to bring his tally to six goals this season.

Japan midfielder Daisuke Matsui fired in a cross from Gervinho in the 60th to seal the win.

Rennes defeated Paris Saint-Germain to take fifth place, level on 18 points with Bordeaux.

Midfielder Jerome Leroy collected a pass from Sylvain Wiltord in the 19th to chip the ball over goalkeeper Mickael Landreau.

Brazilian defender Ceara equalized for PSG from close range in the 56th.

France international Jimmy Briand, set up by Leroy, regained the lead for Rennes in the 74th with an angled shot.

Sylvain Wiltord put the game out of reach on a counterattack in the 84th off a pass from Briand.

Lille beat Valenciennes to snap a seven-game winless streak.