TAIPEI, Taiwan News — The Ministry of Education (MOE) will allocate NT$15 million (US$464,800) in emergency assistance to help schools damaged by Typhoon Jangmi re-open for classes as soon as possible, MOE Secretary-General Pan Wen-chung said yesterday.
According to the latest MOE statistics, 143 schools around the country suffered extensive damage in the typhoon, with initial estimates of the repair bill standing at NT$55.24 million.
Pan said that NT$10 million of the emergency aid will go toward repairing windows, roofs and other structural damage at the schools, while NT$5 million will be put toward repairing the electricity supply system at National Jhongli Commercial High School in Taoyuan, which was seriously damaged in the storm.
The MOE stats also showed that 56 schools around Taiwan remained closed Tuesday due to typhoon damage.
Pan said that the typhoon damage caused to schools is the worst in recent years, with Yilan County being particularly hard hit. He noted that only 25 schools in Taiwan suffered extensive damage during Typhoon Sinlaku, which struck the island earlier this month.