Two Taiwan students still missing after Japan’s earthquake: MOFA


By Joseph Yeh, The China Post

Two Taiwanese students who were staying in the quake-stricken northeastern areas of Japan were still unaccounted for as of yesterday, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has announced. “We are still trying to get in touch with a student who was traveling in Japan under the working holiday program,” said James Chang, MOFA spokesman yesterday during a regular briefing. The ministry was also notified by a family member late Monday that the family had been unable to make contact with their child, a student staying in Japan, he noted. “We are currently trying to determine their whereabouts,” he said.

Meanwhile, the ministry was able to establish contact with another 79 pupils who are now safe and sound after the chaos.

Also, there were no reported casualties among Taiwanese people living in the six prefectures seriously damaged by the magnitude-9 earthquake and powerful tsunami that devastated northeastern areas of the main island on Friday. A total of 653 Republic of China nationals who lived in the prefectures of Aomori, Iwate, Fukushima, Miyagi, Akita, Yamagata, were all reported as safe after the ministry contacted the overseas Taiwanese associations in these areas. The MOFA also announced yesterday that the third batch of relief supplies sent by Taiwan arrived in Japan yesterday afternoon. The 350 tons of relief supplies, including blankets, sleeping bags, jackets and food rations, as well as 600 sets of generators, were donated by local religious foundations, enterprises and ordinary people, said Chang. The MOFA spokesman added that the Japanese authorities had expressed deep appreciation for the supplies.People are welcome to make donations to the government’s official earthquake relief account if they wish to show support to the neighboring country, Chang added.