Wang may return to Major Leagues


The China Post news staff

TAIPEI, Taiwan — Speculation about Chien-Ming Wang’s imminent return to Major League action with the Toronto Blue Jays has run rampant after the Taiwanese pitcher was removed from the roster of a Buffalo Bisons Triple-A game at the last minute despite showing no signs of injuries Thursday. Wang is now likely to start the Blue Jays’ game against the Houston Astros on Sunday, and TV channels in Taiwan have plans to broadcast it live at 7 a.m. on Monday (Taiwan time). Wang, who has shown stable performance in his recent Triple-A games, is desperately needed to solve the Blue Jays’ lack of starting pitchers, baseball pundits said. Blue Jays manager John Gibbons declined to comment on the speculation about Wang’s return. The right-handed pitcher was scheduled to start the Bisons’ game Thursday night, but was removed from the roster and replaced by Ricky Romero. Bisons manager Marty Brown said the last-minute change was not his decision. His remarks prompted speculation that it was a decision from his higher-ups. Wang’s agents said they could not comment on the speculation, as they had received no notification from the Blue Jays so far. But they said the situation might be clearer today. The 6-foot-4 pitcher was initially signed as an amateur free agent by the New York Yankees for the 2000 season, and played for the Staten Island Yankees.

He was considered the Yankees ace pitcher for the 2006 and 2007 seasons, after winning 19 games in both years, to finish among the Major League leaders in victories.

But the pitcher’s Major League career has since been hit by injuries. He was released by the Yankees and joined the Washington Nationals in 2010.

His two-year stint with the Nationals cannot be considered a success. In March 2013, he signed a minor league deal with the Yankees, but three months later he joined the Blue Jays. Poor performance, however, forced him to accept an assignment with the Triple-A Bisons, an affiliate with the Blue Jays, in July.