New Delhi bans ride-sharing app Uber after alleged rape by driver


By Katy Daigle, AP

NEW DELHI — The Indian capital on Monday banned taxi-booking service Uber after a woman was allegedly raped by one of its drivers.

Transport official Satish Mathur made the announcement as the 32-year-old suspect appeared in a New Delhi court.

Police say they expect the court to formally charge Shiv Kumar Yadav with raping the finance company employee. He was hired to ferry her home from a dinner engagement on Friday night.

The case, almost two years after a young woman was fatally gang raped on a bus in the capital, has renewed national anger over sexual violence in India and demands for more effort to ensure women’s safety.

The government rushed through legislation last year to double prison terms for rape to 20 years and to criminalize voyeurism, stalking and the trafficking of women. But activists say much more needs to be done, including better educating youths and adding basic infrastructure, such as street lights and public bathrooms.

The CEO of San Francisco-based Uber, Travis Kalanick, said the company would do ��everything to bring the perpetrator to justice and to support the victim and her family in her recovery.��

He also sought to share some of the blame with officials, saying the company would work with the government to establish clear background checks that are ��currently absent in their commercial transportation licensing programs.��

In banning Uber, the New Delhi government said the company was operating from unregistered premises in the suburb of Gurgaon and had misled the victim about the nature of the taxi service.