Hong Kong police haul away demonstrators from rally site

By Laura Mannering and Aaron Tam ,AFP

HONG KONG — Hong Kong police dismantled the city’s main pro-democracy site Thursday, clearing tents and barricades after more than two months of rallies and leading away more than 100 demonstrators, who vowed their struggle lives on. Hundreds of police moved in from all sides of the Admiralty camp in the heart of the business district sweeping away shelters and supply stands before swooping on a core group at the centre of the site, including student leaders and lawmakers. The dozens making a last stand were the remnants of what once numbered tens of thousands of people at the height of the protest movement, before public support waned.

Some were carried by groups of four officers while others were led off on foot, one by one. Those who remained lay on the road shouting, ��We are peaceful,�� ��We will not resist�� and ��I want true democracy.�� The call for free leadership elections has underpinned the demonstrations, and protesters have vowed the clearance operation will not end a campaign they say has redefined the city’s vexed relationship with Beijing. Police would not confirm if any of those taken away had been formally detained but they had threatened in the build-up to the operation to arrest anyone who refused to leave the protest zone. Media mogul Jimmy Lai, a fierce critic of Beijing, and veteran campaigner Martin Lee were among those led away �X Lee holding up a victory salute to reporters. Singer Denise Ho shouted ��Civil disobedience without fear,�� as she walked away with officers while lawmaker Claudia Mo sang ��We will overcome�� and shouted ��We will be back�� through a megaphone before being escorted off. Student leaders Nathan Law and Eason Chung were also take away by police, alongside ordinary protesters including an elderly man in a wheelchair. ��This is not the end of the movement. The political awakening amongst the young is irreversible and we will fight on,�� Mo told AFP earlier Thursday. Lee added: ��In the heart of every student who has participated in this movement there is now a fire burning, a fire for democracy. This fire cannot be extinguished by an iron fist.�� Police had announced a ��lockdown�� after a 30-minute window allowing protesters to voluntarily leave the site �X an encampment of tents, supply stations and art installations sprawling along a kilometer of a multi-lane highway through the Admiralty district. Some managed to leave after the deadline, but were asked to give their identity details to police.