AFP and AP
PANGKALAN BUN, Indonesia — Highlighting the depth of Indonesia’s air safety problems, the transportation ministry announced harsh measures Monday against everyone who allowed AirAsia Flight 8501 to take off without proper permits �X including the suspension of the airport’s operator and officials in the control tower.
The routing permits of all airlines flying in the country also will be examined to see if they are violating the rules, said Djoko Murjatmodjo, acting director general of air transportation.
��Who knows if other airlines are also doing the same thing,�� he said.
The crackdown came as a major search in the Java Sea entered its ninth day, struggling in bad weather to find more bodies or the ��black box�� flight data recorders which are crucial to determining the cause of the disaster. Only three more bodies were recovered Monday, bringing the total found to 37. A total of 162 passengers and crew were aboard the Airbus A320-200 on Dec. 28 when it crashed en route from Indonesia’s second city Surabaya to Singapore. Indonesia alleges the plane was flying on an unauthorized schedule. The transport ministry has now ordered airport and air navigation managers to ��suspend the personnel involved�� in the activity of Flight 8501, Murjatmodjo told reporters. AirAsia Indonesia, a unit of Malaysia-based AirAsia, has already been suspended from flying the Surabaya-Singapore route �X although Singapore officials said they had given permission for the flight at their end. Murjatmodjo said they would halt any other airline found violating its permitted flight schedule in the country, which has a patchy aviation safety record. ��If, after assessment, another airline is also not flying on the approved schedule, that is a violation and we will suspend it too,�� Murjatmodjo said, adding that they were investigating how AirAsia had been flying on an unapproved schedule without the ministry’s knowledge. Search and rescue agency chief Bambang Soelistyo meanwhile said three more bodies from the crash were recovered Monday, but only two advance divers had been able to go down to the wreckage off the island of Borneo. Five large parts of the plane including the suspected tail have so far been located. ��The current was strong. So (most of) the divers are still on standby,�� Soelistyo told reporters. The search, assisted by several countries including the United States and Russia, has been trying to expand eastwards on suspicions that strong currents have caused parts of the plane to drift. Earlier in the day several aircraft made their way from Pangkalan Bun, a town on Borneo with the nearest airstrip to the wreckage, to scour the sea’s surface. Speedboats were sweeping the coastline to look for any bodies that may have drifted ashore.