35% of graduates still looking for first full-time jobs: survey


CNA

TAIPEI–The slow economy has affected the chances of employment for new college graduates, with 35 percent of them still looking for their first full-time jobs, according to the results of a survey by an online job broker released Monday.

The 1111 Job Bank, in its survey of 2015 college graduates, found that the figure represented an increase of six percentage points from the 29 percent in the same period of last year.

Also, up to 28.7 percent of them have changed their jobs more than once, or 1.6 jobs in average.

The three major reasons for leaving their jobs were dissatisfaction with the salary and fringe benefits, low sense of achievement and lack of opportunity for promotion.

The survey also found that among new graduates who have found jobs, over 24 percent landed their jobs before graduating, and the remaining 76 percent landed jobs after spending an average of 48 days searching.

The graduates sent out 27 resumes and were interviewed five times on average before landing their first full-time jobs, and received monthly payment of NT$27,324 (US$837) on average, a new high in three years, the survey also found.

The figure represented an increase of NT$1,180, or 4.5 percent, from the NT$26,144 last year, the survey shows.

But compared with a survey conducted in March, in which new graduates said they expected a salary of NT$30,872, there was a gap of nearly 19 percent, or NT$3,548.

Daniel Lee, vice president of the 1111 Job Bank, said that the gap between expectations and reality was the second- largest since it began the survey in 2008.

He said that because of miscalculations among new job- seekers, some of them could not enter the job market smoothly.

The survey was conducted Nov. 13-26, collecting 1,288 effective samples, with a margin of error of plus and minus 2.73 percentage points.