At least 5 killed, buildings torched in Rep. of the Congo capital unrest



BRAZZAVILLE, Rep. of the Congo–At least five people died and buildings were torched in clashes between government forces and suspected rebels in Congo’s capital, the government said Tuesday, saying some 50 people had been arrested over the “terror attack.” A dozen attackers were also killed in the fighting in the south of the city on Monday, which saw six police stations, a town hall and two customs checkpoints set on fire, government spokesman Thierry Moungalla said on Twitter. Heavy gun battles erupted before dawn in the southern Makelekele and Mayana districts of Brazzaville, which are loyal to the opposition, sending thousands of panicked residents fleeing. “Three members of the security forces, two civilians and 12 attackers” were killed in the unrest, government spokesman Thierry Moungalla said on Twitter, adding that “six members of the security forces were injured, as well as some civilians.” “In the course of the police operation during the assault, security forces arrested around 50 former militia members, the perpetrators of the attack.” The government blames the fighting, which comes on the heels of a disputed election last month, on the disbanded “Ninja” Nsiloulou militia that fought two civil wars in the 1990s.

The Ninjas are headed by Protestant preacher Frederic Bintsamou, known as Pastor Ntumi, who recently came out in favor of opposition presidential candidate Guy-Brice Parfait Kolelas, the runner-up in the March 20 vote. “The overwhelming evidence held by relevant services clearly points to the active implication of Mr. Bintsamou in the events of Monday,” Moungalla said. Congo’s constitutional court on Monday confirmed that former paratrooper colonel President Denis Sassou Nguesso had won, extending his 32 years in power despite accusations of rampant corruption and nepotism. Five defeated candidates have disputed the results of the poll, in which Sassou Nguesso took more than 60 percent, alleging “massive fraud.”

Congo has been on edge since an October constitutional referendum ended a two-term limit on presidential mandates, allowing the 72-year-old head of state to run again. Last week, there were strikes in several southern districts in protest over the election results. The southern Makelekele and Mayana districts remained eerily quiet on Tuesday morning and few residents appeared to have returned home after fleeing the fighting in droves the day before.