By Mareth Chavez and Logan Sander, Special to The China Post
Taiwan doesn’t seem to get many thunderstorms, but in the past months we’ve had a pretty high number. This might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but some of us enjoy the dull boom of the thunder and the crackle of the lightning. It’s a blessing for photographers too, pro and amateur. Lightning can be difficult (and fun) to capture, making the end product even more rewarding. Here are some of our favorite shots from the recent rains.
1. This great shot of Taipei 101 was taken from the photographer’s private penthouse
2. This photo, also of 101, was captured on a phone using burst mode
Taipei 101 tower graced by lightning. The thunderstorm yesterday was quite an impressive light show. Snapped this on burst mode on my phone. #lightning #taiwanweather #taipei101 #台北101 #閃電
124 Likes, 4 Comments – Wilson Chau (@wchauchow) on Instagram: “Taipei 101 tower graced by lightning. The thunderstorm yesterday was quite an impressive light…”
3. This one is from down in Kaohsiung
4. This photo is from up on Hehuanshan
16 Likes, 1 Comments – Ray Cheung (@ray.nm4988) on Instagram: “閃電。#奇萊山 #閃電 #台灣 #合歡山松雪樓”
5. The photographer behind this one said “the purple lightning was clear and broke the silence of the sky.”
6. Although this strike was in the afternoon, it was still clear and distinct (and hit a utility box).
7. And these spectacular pics were taken in Taichung at midnight.