BERLIN (AP) — Borussia Dortmund defender Marc Bartra has testified at the trial of a man accused of bombing the soccer team’s bus last year, saying that he was afraid of dying in the attack.
The blasts April 11 shattered a window of the bus and hit Bartra with shrapnel, leaving the team without the Spanish defender for about a month after he had to undergo surgery on a broken bone in his wrist.
The 28-year-old suspect told the Dortmund state court earlier this month that he carried out the attack but didn’t intend to kill or hurt anyone.
Bartra appeared as a witness Monday. He said in a statement read by lawyer Alfons Becker: “I feared for my life. I feared I would never see my family again.”