WASHINGTON (AP) — The Latest on the United States and North Korea (all times local):
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says it is ultimately up to North Korean leader Kim Jong Un whether a planned summit with President Donald Trump takes place.
Pompeo was asked at a congressional hearing if the meeting in Singapore on June 12 will happen or not after Trump said Tuesday “there’s a very substantial chance” it won’t go off as planned.
Pompeo said Kim “asked for the meeting, the president agreed to meet with him. I’m very hopeful that meeting will take place.”
He was testifying Wednesday before the House Foreign Affairs Committee.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says the Trump administration will walk away from talks with North Korea if the “right deal” is not on the table for negotiation.
Pompeo told the House Foreign Affairs Committee in prepared testimony on Wednesday that a “bad deal” is not an option. He says preparations continue for a planned June 12 summit in Singapore between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
Pompeo says previous U.S. administrations had been “fooled before and we can’t permit that to happen again.”
However, based on his own discussions with the North Korean leader, Pompeo said he was hopeful that Trump could convince Kim to make a strategic decision to denuclearize.
The United States and South Korea are working to keep the scheduled U.S. summit with North Korea on track — even after President Donald Trump’s comment that “there’s a very substantial chance” it won’t go off as planned.
Trump and South Korea’s leader met in the Oval Office on Tuesday, and President Moon Jae-in says “the fate and the future of the Korean Peninsula hinge” on the summit set for June 12 in Singapore.
The summit would offer a historic chance for peace. But there also is the risk of a diplomatic failure that would allow the North to revive and advance its nuclear weapons program.