The Latest: Man jailed in religious supplies store attack

The Latest: Man jailed in religious supplies store attack
Authorities investigate the scene at a Catholic Supply store where a gunman went into the religious supply store, sexually assaulted at least one woman and shot a woman in the head, Monday, Nov. 19, 2018, in Ballwin, Mo. (Johanna Huckeba/St. Louis Post-Dispatch via AP)

ST. LOUIS (AP) — The Latest on the investigation into the fatal attack at a Catholic supply store in St. Louis County (all times local):

4 p.m.

A man has been jailed on suspicion of murder, armed criminal action and sodomy in connection with a sexual assault and fatal shooting at a suburban St. Louis religious supplies store.

Formal charges haven’t been filed, but multiple media reports say the suspect was booked Wednesday into the St. Louis County jail. Police confirmed earlier Wednesday that a “person of interest” was being questioned.

The arrest came two days after a gunman entered the Catholic Supply store near Ballwin. Police have said the attacker sexually assaulted someone and shot 53-year-old Jamie Schmidt in the head. She died later at a hospital.

Schmidt, a mother of two adult children and a high school student, was a customer at the store.


1:15 p.m.

Police in suburban St. Louis say they are questioning a “person of interest” in a fatal shooting and sexual assault at a religious supply store.

St. Louis County police said Wednesday that the man being interviewed is 53 years old. No other details have been released, but police are characterizing him as a person of interest “at this time.”

On Monday, a gunman sexually assaulted at least one person and fatally shot 53-year-old Jamie Schmidt of House Springs, Missouri, inside the Catholic Supply store near the town of Ballwin. Schmidt, a mother of three, was a customer. Authorities have declined to say if more than one woman was assaulted.

Schmidt died later Monday at a hospital.

The gunman got away after the shooting, prompting a massive manhunt.