平溪國小感恩土地公日夜守護 | Gratitude toward Tudigong from Pingxi Elementary School

24

TAIPEI (The China Post) – Tudigong is the deity closest to the people. In the pioneering days full of hardship in life, the people managed to establish simple temples for Tudigong so that they can pray to him for safety.

土地公是最親近人民的神明,過去先人來台墾荒,即便生活不易,也會想盡辦法設立土地祠,祈求土地公保佑平安。

Pingxi, famous for its sky lanterns, has many small Tudigong temples along its numerous mountain paths. The Tudigong next to Pingxi Elementary School has kept the local residents company for over a century.  

以天燈聞名世界的平溪,山徑小路保留了許多土地祠,平溪國小旁的土地公更是陪伴在地居民走過百年寒暑。

Steeping out the Pingxi Station and walking along the old street to Pingxi Elementary School, you can see the Tudigong temple at the entrance of the school.

走出平溪車站沿著老街來到平溪國小,就能在校門口看見土地祠。

The inscriptions on the temple have blurred over time, displaying the faint characters of “Fujugong.” The temple was built in 1917, which was over 100 years ago.

上面的字跡隨著時光逐漸模糊,依稀能看出寫著福聚宮,建立於大正六年(西元1917年),至今已有百年的歷史。

Although the temple host is aged, he still comes to the temple every day to burn incense, add tea, and ensure the incense continues to burn. The temple is also a site where local residents drink tea, chat, and socialize with each other.

廟公即使年紀大了,依然每日不辭辛勞前來燒香添茶維持香火不斷,平時也是居民泡茶聊天聯絡感情的場所。

However, in the 1980s, there was a lottery craze in Taiwan. The original Tudigong statue was borrowed by a believer for worshipping at home but was never returned.

但在民國70年代,全台風行大家樂,原本供奉的土地公神像被信眾請回未再歸還。

After discussion, the local residents considered it inappropriate for the temple to be without a statue. Therefore, the residents raised funds to build a new statue, which is the one we see here now.

當地居民商討後,認為廟宇沒有神像實在不妥,於是集資請人再造神像,也就是現在大家看到的這尊土地公。

The faculty and students in Pingxi Elementary School view the Tudigong as their own family elder. When they go to or leave school, they always greet the Tudigong. The Tudigong became Pingxi Elementary School’s best watcher. With the Tudigong there, there is no need to worry about thieves.

平溪國小無論老師學生都將土地公視為自家的長輩,上課放學總會和土地公問安打招呼,土地公儼然成為平溪國小的最佳管理員,有祂在都不擔心任何宵小侵擾。

In 1915, locals and Mr. Pan Ping-Chu established Yang Shan Xuan Study. The Study was then changed to the Pingxi Branch of the Nuannuan Public School, and then later became the independent Pingxi Public School.

民國4年地方人士與潘炳燭先生創立仰山軒書房,歷經暖暖公學校平溪分校,正式獨立平溪公學校。

Today, the Pingxi Elementary School is 100 years old. To celebrate the 100th anniversary of the school, the organizers decided to scale up the celebration and host a concert and hiking and jogging activities.

到今日的平溪國小已有百年,於是今年決定擴大慶祝百年校慶,舉辦音樂會、淨山健行、路跑等活動。

On May 26, 2018, the school catered for a banquet with 50 tables inside the school and invited alumni back to jointly celebrate the event at their alma mater.

在去年5/26更在校園裡席開50桌邀請歷屆校友回娘家一同歡慶。 

For this celebration event, all faculty members and students created small sky lanterns and asked everyone present to write their blessings for Pingxi Elementary School, such as “100 years of Pingxi” and “Eternal development for Pingxi Elementary School and the Pingxi area” on the sky lanterns.

為了本次校慶,全體師生共同製作小天燈,邀請大家寫下對平溪國小的祝福,小天燈上寫著百年平溪,期望平溪國小與平溪地區都能恆久發展。

A designer was employed to design an installation art based on Pingxi’s special species Lilium speciosum and sky lanterns as a memorial to the school’s centennial celebration.

並聘請設計師以平溪特有種豔紅鹿子百合和天燈為概念設計裝置藝術,做為百年校慶的紀念。