Syrian government bombing of rebel stronghold kills 11

Syrian government bombing of rebel stronghold kills 11
FILE - In this Sept. 19, 2013, file photo, smoke rises after a TNT bomb was thrown from a helicopter, hitting a rebel position during heavy fighting between troops loyal to president Bashar Assad and opposition fighters, in a neighbouring village to Kafr Nabuda, in the Idlib province countryside, Syria. n two months of intensive airstrikes and bombardments on the rebel-controlled province of Idlib, Syrian government forces and their Russian allies have failed to make progress against battle-hardened insurgents. (AP Photo/File)

BEIRUT (AP) — Syrian first responders and activists say government bombing of the last rebel stronghold in the country has killed at least 11 civilians, as the nearly four-month offensive shows no sign of abating.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says six people were killed, including a child, in the government bombing of the village of Urum al-Joz in southern Idlib province. The opposition-operated Shaam news agency says those killed had been displaced from the southern tip of the rebel stronghold.

Rescue workers, known as Syria’s Civil Defense or White Helmets, say three children and a woman were killed in Kfaruma, south of Urum al-Joz. A White Helmet volunteer was killed in the town of Khan Sheikhoun, the group says.

The offensive began in late April, displacing more than 300,000 people.