Sep. 1, 2020 5:59 AM EDT
5 Things to Know for Today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. TRUMP HEADS TO KENOSHA The president — over the objection of local leaders — is visiting the protest-riven Wisconsin city where Jacob Blake was shot seven times in the back by police.
2. SHERIFFS SLAM PLAN TO CURB PORTLAND UNREST Law enforcement officials say the governor’s plan to mobilize units from surrounding counties wouldn’t end the violence that’s approaching 100 consecutive nights of protests.
3. ‘IT WAS A TRAVESTY OF JUSTICE’ Poll workers in Belarus are providing details to the AP of vote-rigging in the Aug. 9 election that kept authoritarian President Alexander Lukashenko in power.
4. WHY HONG KONG IS WARY OF VIRUS TESTING The voluntary program has become a flash point of political debate, with many distrustful over resources and staff being provided by Beijing and fears that the residents’ DNA could be collected.
5. VENICE RECLAIMS CINEMA SPOTLIGHT But not without changes as the public will be barred from the red carpet, Hollywood stars and films will be largely absent and face masks will be required.
- No trending data is available.